During my time in college, I was normally stressed out and I always strung myself too thin. I was in the midst of a full load of classes, an internship, and a part-time job. I neglected myself and my well-being. Looking back, I regret not taking care of myself. Here’s what I wish I had done:
01. Eat well. Reflecting on my time in college made me realize that I hardly ever had a sit-down, substantial meal. Late nights working on group projects meant soda, chips and if I was lucky a sandwich. I wish I had thought more about my health and prepared snacks and meals that were good for me ahead of time. Idea: prepare meals on Sunday nights for the rest of the week and pack them in travel-safe tupperware.
02. Exercise often. After my Sophomore year, I lived off-campus in an apartment. Most of my time was spent in the car, at my desk, or in class. I was always sitting. Though I was busy, looking back, I was sedentary all the time. I wish I had set aside at least a few minutes a day for exercising. I think that exercise would’ve helped my attitude, focus, and overall well-being! Idea: if you can’t get to the gym each day, park your car farther away and walk to class.
03. Take a break. With so many obligations, I hardly ever took a break in college. My days were packed from 7:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. I remember being so tired once I got back home, but I had so much work to do that I had to power through it. I wish that I had just taken five minutes and went for a walk or stepped away from my work. Idea: during long study/homework sessions, set a timer to get yourself up and moving, drink a glass of water, or listen to your favorite song.
04. Do something just for fun. College is such a fun and special time of life. While I was busy working towards a career, I sometimes forgot to enjoy the experience. The majority of my time during the week and on the weekends was often consumed with everything but activities I wanted or loved to do. I wish I had done more activities for fun. Idea: take time out of each weekend to do one activity just for fun.
05. Don’t stress too much. I’m the kind of person that is easily stressed out. As you can imagine, college was the epitome of stress for me! I wish I hadn’t stressed as much as I did. Idea: take a few minutes each day to reflect on what stressed you out and how you can handle the next stressful situation.
If you could go back and change one thing about taking care of yourself in college, what would it be? If you’re currently in college, what do you do to take care of yourself?